Sunday, April 5, 2009

Easy Microwave Strawberry Jam Butter


Looks good, doesn't it. :-) Having strawberries left over from a rather large basket that I bought, I decided to look into how to make jam, particularly strawberry jam. Since I was at work when I thought of this, I thought... "Hey, wouldn't it be cool if I can make jam in the microwave?" A few google searches later and ta da, I found this site. Awesome!

I obviously didn't have all my ingredients at work so, I waited til my day off (the next day) to make the jam. I actually ended up buying more strawberries too. :-) Okay, so if you haven't noticed, I actually named this Strawberry Jam Butter. Well, I actually screwed up on making the jam. I misread the ingredient list and mistook 1/2 tsp for 1/2 cup of butter. LOL! Oops! It sounds like a tremendously bad mistake, but it turns out that this jam recipe was much more fool-proof than I thought. This jam-butter turned out to be excellent. I seriously couldn't have asked for a better turn out. The outcome was creamier in looks and taste than normal jam and looked lighter in color. I would definitely make a similar mistake again, but on purpose. :-)

Ingredients:

3 - 3 1/2 cups strawberries (green tops cut off)
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup or 1/2 tsp butter
1 1/2 tbsp lemon juice


How To:

1. Put strawberries in a blender and pulse to crush them down til there are no chunks.


2. Add lemon juice and pulse once or twice to mix it into the strawberries.


3. Throw everything in a large microwaveable bowl and mix up a bit. If you just took the butter out of the fridge, that will probably not mix very well... No worries, it will melt down in the microwave and you'll be able to mix it then.


4. Microwave for a total of 15 minutes, stopping every 2 minutes to stir. The bowl and jam is hot, so be warned. (Um, yeah, I may have burned the tip of my finger a bit... again.) In fact, when I took the bowl out of the microwave after the first few intervals, I noticed that the jam was actually boiling.

5. After the 15 minutes in the microwave are up, let it cool for a few more minutes, (maybe 10 min) and pour into a clean jam jar.

6. You can start enjoying the jam once cooled or you can refrigerate and enjoy later, like, after the brioche is done. :-)


This was a super easy and fool proof jam that anyone can make. Read and reread the ingredient list, but don't be afraid to experiment either. Sometimes they turn out even better than the original recipe. :-)

Have fun and enjoy!

5 comments:

Gregorio said...

Looks amazing! Gotta love culinary mistakes that end up being fabulous.

Captain Monkeypants said...

This looks yummy!- do you think you could use that concentrated lemon juice stuff that comes in the plastic lemon or does it have to be 100% real juice?

Fe said...

Capt. Monkeypants - I thought the stuff from the plastic lemon was 100% real juice. :(

I bet you can. I mean, who'd have thunk a 1/2 cup of butter could replace 1/2 tsp. :) To be on the safe side, if it's concentrate, you can put a little bit of water in it... maybe 1:1 ratio.

Thanks for coming by. :-)

Greg - Thanks. :-)

Emily said...

I think Fe is right- the stuff in the plastic lemon is juice, not concentrate. It's only the stuff in the baking aisle (with the vanilla extract, peppermint oils, etc) that is usually concentrated.

And, as for the recipe mixup- doesn't more butter always make things better? ;-)

Fe said...

Yes, butter does seem to make many things better. :-D

Post a Comment