Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Makeshift Charging Station


I bought one of these Ikea laptop supports a few months ago. I bought two of them and found that really, I only needed one, So, I decided to make the other a charging station. This is actually one of the great things about the Ikea products, is it's adaptability to get hacked into other things. :)



I started out by drilling a few holes into the support, where you might want to put the cords thru. Important note: make sure the plug fits thru the drilled hole.

So, that's pretty much the gist of the whole project.  I added a piece of felt on top, and cut some slits where the holes should be.  This helps the components from sliding.  I bet a spare silicone baking sheet would be even better, but I didn't want to cut mine, plus felt made the next part much easier to do.


I added the prickly part of a few velcro pieces onto the support.  The felt easily sticks to this, so I didn't have to use the other side of the velcro.  This also meant that I didn't have to match up the two sides of velcro if I wanted to remove the felt (or even replace the felt).

Ta Da! That's it... pretty much a 5 minute project costing less than $3.  Here's a picture of the top, and of the side (where the wires are all hiding).  I tied up the wires with some sandwich bag twistie ties. 



Happy National Craft Month folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment